This will be the first year I haven’t entered NaNoWriMo in a long, long time. Why? Because a book I started as a NaNo Project finally landed me a bona-fide book deal with a “Big 5” publisher, that’s why – so I am living proof that You. Can. Do. This.
In my resource collection I have a file of stuff I use to motivate me before NaNo starts every year, so I’m going to share them with you:
- Pixar’s 22 Rules to Phenomenal Storytelling – These are outstanding, and rule #4 is the rough outline for every single book I’ve ever written.
- Chuck Wendig on How to Push Past the Bullshit and Write That Goddamn Novel
- 22 Lessons from Stephen King on How to be a Great Writer
- 10 Writing Tips to Make Your Editor’s Life Easier
- Joss Whedon: 5 Things Your Script Has to Have (this goes for fiction, too)
Hope those help – and good luck to everyone!
Now here’s my sage advice:
FINISH THAT BOOK. JUST WRITE AND FINISH THAT DAMN BOOK.